8. Conflicting Information. Should guidance in this Annex conflict with guidance
issued by higher authority than CINCPACFLT, the guidance issued by the higher
authority will apply and the conflict will be reported to CINCPACFLT. Nothing in
this Annex is meant to conflict with guidance issued by higher authority.
9. Tasks and Policies.
a. Policy. All officers in command of PACFLT units and their assigned PAOs
are required to be familiar with public affairs policies outlined in this Amex and
other public affairs policies affecting their units.
b. PA Program. PACFLT officers in command shall develop an aggressive
but realistic public affairs program with attainable objectives. For echelon three
commanders, this program should be published and issued to subordinates.
c. Authority. A forthright, cooperative and tactful policy of maximum
candor, consistent with security, toward the general public and news media
representatives shall be used in all matters. In accordance with appropriate guidance
and existing policies, CINCPACFLT authorizes and encourages subordinate
commands to do the following:
(1) Maintain close liaison with professional public affairs personnel,
news media and other naval, military and governmental activities.
(2) Arrange for adequate Navy public information coverage, including
official U.S. Navy photographic coverage, of noteworthy events and activities.
(3) Arrange press interviews and appearances of naval personnel on
radio and television programs.
(4) Encourage production of radio and television within the Navy itself.
(5) Submit to the Fleet Home Town News Center, on significant and
newsworthy occasions, appropriate news material and photographs concerning
Navy personnel attached to the command. More individualized photo features
should be marketed to the appropriate internal news media, or forwarded to
appropriate Navy Offices of Information (NAVINFOs) for marketing to specific
external (commercial) news media.
(6) Arrange for press, civic and other official tours of the command and
conduct general visiting afloat/ashore for the public when appropriate.